Thursday, February 17, 2011

Birthday Themes

I love planning birthdays for my daughter.  It is a time when I love to make the cake.  The only time I ever purchased a cake for her was shortly after a move from another state and was still unpacking and didn't have time to make one AND plan a party.

Follow the Yellow Brick Road!
My daughter has a tradition of selecting some creative birthday themes.  Since she was 3 yrs old, her birthday theme coordinated with the previous Halloween costume.  She has a March birthday so it seemed as if the Halloween theme continued until her birthday.  We went through 2 years of Disney Princess birthdays.  Those were super easy because you could find theme items everywhere.  When she turned 5 years old, she decided that she wanted a Wizard of Oz party.  Of course, the previous Halloween she was Dorothy.  At that time in 2008, it was hard to find party items for that theme.  We made it work and I had a blast making the cake for it, complete with yellow brick road, emerald city and the rainbow.


When she was 6, she presented me with the biggest challenge ever!  She wanted to have a Fancy Nancy party.  Fancy Nancy was a new children's book character.  At that time, the merchandise had not hit the stores and it was hard to find!  The cake was so - so...not my favorite.  I tried to make a purple purse...let's just say, it was very purple.


 



For the 7th birthday, she didn't really decide anything so we went with a spring theme -- butterfly cake and flower cupcake cake. Easy but not too exciting...



Now she will be turning 8 years old soon. (ugh, where did the time go?)  She decided that she wanted a luau theme.  A Luau theme??!!  YES!  That is super easy and exciting to plan an awesome birthday cake!  I can see flip flops, leis, limbo, grass skirts...ahhh....easy birthday planning for mom. Since I am a big fan of the Cake Boss (Carlos Bakery), I know what I can do to make sand and other features.  My daughter would love to have a cake from Carlos Bakery but they don't ship and I also wouldn't have as much fun.
It's definitely a birthday party that I am excited to plan! I am open to ideas for this fun theme.  It celebrates the life of our daughter and we are very blessed to celebrate this special day -- the day God gave her to us!

No comments:

Post a Comment