Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is approaching and then the holidays will be in full swing.  It brings a different feeling to Hannah and I this year.  I want the time to slow down so that I have more time to prepare for the emotions that it is going to bring, but time keeps moving. 


Thanksgiving is a special time of year when we take time to be thankful.  For some of us, the list can be endless.  We can go on and on listing all the blessings that we see.  For others, it may be a struggle with finding things for which to be thankful.  Circumstances in life may have caused you to avoid being thankful because you aren’t sure why you should be thankful for those circumstances.


God’s word says:  He who offers a sacrifice of thanksgiving honors me. - Psalm 50:23


Sometimes it takes a sacrifice on our part to be thankful.  Through the tears or through the fears, God wants us to be thankful.  It seems like I shed some tears almost every day.  I miss the man God gave me 22 years ago but I am thankful for each and every day that God gave me with Mike.  I am thankful for the daughter that God blessed us with and for each and every life moment that we all experienced together.  Through the good times or the bad times, we were thankful.  

When we are thankful through the difficult times, we are making a sacrifice that honors God.  It brings joy to the Lord.  We must look through the difficulty to be thankful for Jesus.  He is the one constant in our lives.  He always loves us. He never changes.  He is always there.  There will always be storms or seasons in life when it is difficult.  I know that I am going through one of those seasons.  It is important to remember that I still have to be thankful for the air that I breathe, the people that God continually puts in my life to encourage me, the daughter that I have been blessed to raise, and that God loves me.  While it is still hard for me to see why God felt Mike’s work on earth was finished, I am thankful that I see ways that it is still continuing.  


There is a little part of a song from the Veggietales bible animated cartoons that says this:

Because a thankful heart is a happy heart!
I'm glad for what I have, that's an easy way to start!
For the love that He shares as He listens to my prayers
That's why I say thanks everyday!

I will continue to say thanks everyday because that is how God would want me to live my life.  As you go through this season, be sure that you are thankful and always make that sacrifice to honor God.  See the ways that he has blessed you.  Don’t let the circumstances in your life make your eyes to foggy to see the things that God is doing for you each and every day.  Also, don’t let negativity prevent you from allowing others to bless you.


 In the words of Philippians 1:3-4 I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment