Monday, December 28, 2015

Trials will come--how will you handle them?

I was thankful when October was over and November began. October brought much sadness and trials to our family.  It ended with Hannah getting hurt while at cheer practice as she fell from a cheer stunt onto her knee.  It was a minor injury and she will heal quickly.  However, it just was another thing in October that was another trial to face.


When trials come, we are faced with options on how we can handle it.  We can cry, get angry, shut down, get alone, or give up.  Our first option should be to turn to God but one of the previous options usually comes first or comes along with it.  Throughout the last month, I have relied on my faith in God.  I know in my heart that He is with me and that He surrounds me with people who are praying for me and for Hannah.  While we sometimes look forward to heaven and want to be there with loved ones, God has given us a purpose on Earth.  We may not know or understand what that purpose is while we are suffering through a difficult time.  I truly believe that God reveals that to you.  Sometimes we don’t see it when we are in the midst of the trial but when we focus on God, he promises that He will guide us.  Mike mentioned in a recent reminder that just checking your Bible app or your “verse of the day” is not enough.  It is important to interact with a body of believers as well as read God’s word each day.  Pray and ask God during that trial or difficult time to reveal to you your purpose.  He will do that in His own time.  Romans 8:18 says “I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.”


Mike always referred to the words of the hymn, “Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus.”  The lyrics say:  “The things of this earth will grow strangely dim in the light of his glory and grace.”  I can almost hear Mike quote those words because he did so recently.   The sufferings that we face are so minimal compared to the glory that we will one day see. This was the glory that Mike saw immediately and is walking in each and every day.  


This past fall, Hannah and I watched the movie, "God’s Not Dead.”  It is a great movie and one thing that I got from the movie was that pain and suffering from a broken relationship, sick loved one, or family troubles are temporary compared to the joy that God wants us to have.  We must live our lives to show that God is alive in all that we do and our purpose is to share that with everyone.


There is a song called “God of this City."  Some of the lyrics are:

Greater things have yet to come
And greater things are still to be done in this city
Greater things have yet to come
And greater things are still to be done here

God is not finished with me.  He is not finished with Hannah.  He is certainly not finished with MHBC and this community.  Psalms 30:5 says, “Weeping may endure for a night, but the joy comes in the morning.”  I definitely weep a lot lately.  I know it is normal because I miss the man I loved so much. People say that I am strong but I feel weak.  It is the strength of God that is coming through because I do not have it on my own. I keep getting up the next day and going on because I know that I have a purpose.  Regardless of the trial that you are going through, God has a purpose for you.  Give Him that chance to lovingly reveal it to you.

 

1 comment: